Penetrating Damp Edinburgh
The three main signs of penetrating damp are; crumbling plaster on your walls, damp patches and a damp musty smell. Repairing your structural issues which are causing the issue is how we will help you resolve this problem. Contacting our Edinburgh branch today can be the first step you take to resolve your damp problem through a property survey or advice.
- Free Property Survey
- 5 Year Guarantee
- Experienced & Qualified, Edinburgh Surveyors & Technicians
What Causes Penetrating Damp?
Penetrating damp occurs in walls, roofs, windows or door surrounds. It usually happens as a result of water gaining access to your property as a result of structural defects. This type of damp can happen on any level of a building and it tends to be most prevalent on the upper half of the walls.
Most common causes of penetrating damp:
- Building problems –overflowing within gutters, pointing that has been weakened, incorrect fitting of windows, etc
- Porous walls –rain can easily penetrate weakened brickwork
- Damaged brickwork can provide rain with an access point to your property
- Frost can cause damage to masonry
- Black mould growth due to increased humidity levels and dampness
- Damaged exterior of property – e.g. damage to the roof providing water with an accessing point
Guttering height tends to be where most penetrating damp issues can be identified. Noticing damp at this height suggests that the source of the penetrating damp is within the downpipes and gutters. Contacting our Edinburgh team is the only way that you can guarantee the accurate diagnosis of your damp problem. The only way to select the best solution for your problem is by accurately knowing what type of damp it is you are up against.
How To Identify Penetrating Damp
Signs of Penetrating Damp:
- Damp patches on walls or ceilings
- Walls having blotches on them
- Crumbling and wet plaster
- Damp musty smells
- Spores which are visible
- Drips causing puddles to start forming
- Damp plasterwork/wall insulation
Our Penetrating Damp FAQ page provides you with the easier signs to spot of penetrating damp in much greater detail. By reaching out to our Edinburgh branch we can ensure you rapidly solve any damp issues your property is suffering from. Various damp prevention tactics are utilised by our specialists and they will ensure the best possible waterproofing system relevant to your predicament is installed.
Penetrating Damp Treatment & Repairs
We will send out specialists from our Edinburgh branch to immediately get to the source of your damp problem. The quickest and most cost-efficient solution for your home will then be provided.
What our specialist will do:
- Evaluate the property in detail to correctly identify the type of damp you are suffering from.
- Identify the source of your damp issues (Point of access for the water)
- Provide you with an easily understandable survey report for you to fully comprehend the extent of your problem.
- Provide you with the best treatment solution
We will initially repair the damage which caused the damp in the first place. Our damp specialists will then apply a physical membrane or chemical water repellent.
It is extremely easy for someone who does not have the required experience to misdiagnose the type of damp affecting the property. This can result in inefficient self-treatment being administered as a result and the damp problem worsening significantly. This demonstrates the importance of contacting specialists as soon as to ensure the problem is dealt with as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Your property survey can be free of charge. Click the ‘i’ icon to learn more
5 Year Penetrating Damp Guarantee
Fully certified and highly experienced penetrating damp specialists in Edinburgh
* No Charge if you Own the surveyed property located within 25 miles from our Edinburgh branch. An administration fee may apply if a written report is required (a charge may apply if the property is rented out or is situated further than 25 miles). Speak with our Edinburgh team who will be happy to help deal with your property problem.
Our qualified rot surveyor will closely investigate the affected area and measure the scale of the problem. At Richardson and Starling, we only supply experienced surveyors who are highly trained in all types of rot and damp problems that could affect your property. This means that our surveyor will be able to complete the survey and give the appropriate remedial recommendations no matter what problem is identified.
5 Year Guarantee for Penetrating Damp Repairs
Free automatic transfer to the new property owner if sold.
After eight decades of successful property surveys and repairs, we’re confident to offer you a 5 Year Guarantee that transfers with the Property.
Richardson & Starling are long-standing members of the Property Care Association (PCA) and the Guarantee Protection Insurance scheme (GPI). This demonstrates our ability to meet technical and financial requirements to offer an insurance back-up to our own long term guarantees if you would like this.
Book a Property Survey
Fill the form below and our Edinburgh team will be in touch with you shortly.