Penetrating Damp Edinburgh
The three main signs of penetrating damp are; crumbling plaster on your walls, damp patches and a damp musty smell. Repairing your structural issues which are causing the damp is how we will help you resolve this problem. Contacting our Edinburgh branch today can be the first step you take to resolve your damp problem through a property survey or advice.
- 5 Year Guarantee
- Award-Winning Contractor
- Experienced & Qualified, Edinburgh Surveyors & Technicians
What Causes Penetrating Damp?
Penetrating damp occurs in walls, roofs, windows or door surrounds. It usually happens because of water gaining access to your property as a result of structural defects. This type of damp can happen at any level of a building and affect any part of external walls.
Most common causes of penetrating damp:
- Building problems –overflowing gutters, pointing that has been weakened, incorrect fitted windows and doors, etc
- Porous walls –rain can easily penetrate defective render
- Damaged brickwork can provide rain with an access point to your property
- Frost can cause damage to masonry
- Black mould growth due to increased humidity levels and dampness
- Damaged exterior of property – e.g. damage to the roof providing water with an accessing point
Guttering height tends to be where most penetrating damp issues can be identified. Noticing damp at this height suggests that the source of the penetrating damp is within the downpipes and gutters. Contacting our Edinburgh team is the only way that you can guarantee the accurate diagnosis of your damp problem. The only way to select the best solution for your problem is by accurately knowing what type of damp you are up against.
How To Identify Penetrating Damp
Signs of Penetrating Damp:
- Damp patches on walls or ceilings
- Walls having blotches on them and damaged decoration
- Crumbling and wet plaster
- Damp musty smells
- Black mould which is visible on the wall or ceiling surface
- Drips causing puddles to start forming
- Damp plasterwork/wall insulation
Our Penetrating Damp FAQ page provides you with the signs to spot penetrating damp in much greater detail. By reaching out to our Edinburgh branch we can ensure you rapidly solve any damp issues your property is suffering from. Various damp prevention systems are utilised by our specialists and they will ensure the best possible waterproofing system relevant to your predicament is installed.
Penetrating Damp Treatment & Repairs
We will send out specialists from our Edinburgh branch to immediately get to the source of your damp problem. The quickest and most cost-efficient solution for your home will then be provided.
What our specialist will do:
- Evaluate the property in detail to correctly identify the type of damp you are suffering from.
- Identify the source of your damp issues (Point of access for the water)
- Provide you with an easily understandable survey report for you to fully comprehend the extent of your problem.
- Provide you with the best treatment solution
We will identify the damage which caused the damp in the first place and what need to be done to repair it. Our damp specialists will then apply a physical damp proof membrane or water repellent to protect your property.
It is extremely easy for someone who does not have the required experience to misdiagnose the type of damp affecting the property. This can result in inefficient self-treatment being administered as a result and the damp problem worsening significantly. This demonstrates the importance of contacting specialists as soon as possible to ensure the problem is dealt with as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Our qualified rot surveyor will closely investigate the affected area and measure the scale of the problem. At Richardson and Starling, we only supply experienced surveyors who are highly trained in all types of rot and damp problems that could affect your property. This means that our surveyor will be able to complete the survey and give the appropriate remedial recommendations no matter what problem is identified.
5 Year Guarantee
Free automatic transfer to the new property owner if sold.
5 Year Guarantee for Penetrating Damp Repairs
After eight decades of successful property surveys and repairs, we’re confident to offer you a 5 Year Guarantee that transfers with the Property.
Richardson & Starling are long-standing members of the Property Care Association (PCA) and the Guarantee Protection Insurance scheme (GPI). This demonstrates our ability to meet technical and financial requirements to offer an insurance back-up to our own long term guarantees if you would like this.