Cavity Wall Tie Replacement
- Free Property Surveys
- 30 Year Cavity Wall Tie Replacement Guarantee
- PCA Contractor of the Year Awards 2016, 2017 & 2018
Have you noticed any signs of wall movement, bulging or cracking within your property? If so, you might have a cavity wall tie problem and we would encourage you to get in touch with a local property professional. No matter if your property is lacking cavity wall ties or they have simply rusted out, Richardson & Starling specialists can offer an effective cavity wall tie replacement solution that can restore the strength of your structure.
No matter how big or small the problem appears we treat each customer with the utmost care. If you have any questions about this service, we would encourage you to contact your local branch for advice or a property survey.
The Purpose of Installing Cavity Wall Ties
Cavity wall ties were introduced in the early 20th century and builders use wall ties to hold separated walls together forming a “cavity wall system”. It is now the standard that any modern property is built with a cavity wall. The cavity gives resistance to weather penetrating the property living space and helps improve the thermal performance of the wall.
Traditional 225mm solid walls have been replaced by the cavity wall construction. Its purpose is to split the solid wall with a thicker wall in two parts and a gap in the middle. Therefore, the wall ties effectively tie the two walls together, improving the stability of the cavity wall.
Cavity Wall Tie Failure | The Signs
If you have noticed vertical or horizontal cracks in brickwork, then something may be wrong with your cavity wall ties. This may be due to a lack of wall ties or may happen as the existing wall tie corrodes and produces rust or metallic oxide. The wall tie thickness expands with rust, and forces bricks above and below the tie to move apart cracking the mortar bed.
HERE ARE THE MAIN SIGNS INDICATING CAVITY WALL TIE PROBLEMS:
- Bulging Brickwork – this bulging can occur due to the corrosion of wall ties and the wall tie breaking free from its bond with the brickwork mortar. The wall can then move due to building loads or wind pressure. The brickwork has no choice but to bulge outwards as it is not tied into the building structure properly. This may also be due to a lack of wall ties present.
- Wall cracks or separation of the window reveals, depth of the window reveal is inconsistent.
- • Evidence of lifting or sagging Lintels above doors or windows, can be another sign that your wall ties have broken their bond. This may also be caused by expansion movement. Lintels can be pushed upwards or downwards when this occurs.
If you have noticed any of these problems, we would suggest that you get in contact with your local property preservation team. We are confident that a diagnosis of the problem will be made and the proper specification for the remedial work given. We guarantee that we will provide you with a competent and trustworthy repair service that keeps your home in great condition.
Cavity Wall Tie Replacement
At Richardson & Starling, we use the best quality products and materials which means our cavity wall ties provide an effective and economical solution to tie cavity walls together. Quite often our surveyors inspect the property and find out that the structural problem happened because there are simply not enough ties holding the wall in place or the bond with the existing wall ties is not good. In these cases, we need to install more ties to strengthen the defective wall.
We have many years’ experience when it comes to installing new cavity wall ties and we can do this with little distribution to your day to day life. Our team will survey your property, identify the reason causing the structural problem and carry out cost-effective works supported with a 30 Year Transferable Guarantee you can trust.
Cavity Wall Tie Survey
* No charge if you Own the surveyed property located within 25 miles from our nearest branch. An administration fee may apply if a written report is required (a charge may apply if the property is rented out or is situated further than 25 miles).Speak with your local branch who will be happy to help deal with your property problem.
Our qualified surveyor will closely investigate the affected area and measure the scale of the problem. At Richardson and Starling, we only supply experienced surveyors who are highly trained in problems that could affect your property. This means that our surveyor will be able to complete the survey and give the appropriate remedial recommendations no matter what problem is identified.
30 Year Guarantee for Cavity Wall Repairs
Free automatic transfer if you sell the property.
After eight decades of successful property surveys and repairs, we’re confident to offer you a 30 Year Guarantee that transfers with the Property if you sell it.
Richardson & Starling are long standing members of the Property Care Association (PCA) and the Guarantee Protection Insurance scheme (GPI). This demonstrates our ability to meet technical and financial requirements to offer an insurance back-up to our own long term guarantees if you would like this.
Book a Cavity Wall Tie Survey
Fill the form below and our local team will be in touch with you shortly.