Weakened floorboards in your property can be an early indication that your property may have woodworm. Small round holes in the timber and tunnels within the timber can confirm that your property is struggling with a woodworm problem. Richardson & Starling’s Inverness specialists will abolish woodworm from your property. Contact them today to receive free advice about your potential woodworm issue or to arrange a property survey.
- Free Property Survey
- 30 Year Guarantee
- Experienced & Qualified, Inverness Surveyors & Technicians
What Causes Woodworm?
Main causes of woodworm:
- Migrating beetles being attracted towards damp timber
- Infested furniture being brought into the property
- Timber brought into property containing woodworm eggs which will later hatch and spread
- Infected timber being used during property construction
- Firewood brought into property containing woodworm
Woodworm can easily be accidentally introduced into a property through furniture, driftwood or firewood. Decayed wood is hugely attractive to woodworm and this can be caused by improper insulation or leaks within properties. People should strive to evaluate the condition of the timber in their property on a regular basis. This can help people identify a woodworm problem early before it develops into a much more serious problem. Serious damage can be caused to the foundations of a property by woodworm. Property owners must ensure that they attempt to implement as many precautions as possible to stop woodworm from infesting timbers within their property.
How To Identify Woodworm
Identifying that your property has woodworm can be tricky. Woodworm will inflict most of their damage deep within the timber which will not leave any obvious signs on the exterior of the timber. Many property owners won’t realise they have woodworm until the problem has significantly grown. However, there are some signs which can allow you to realise early that you are suffering from woodworm.
Signs of Woodworm:
- Small holes in timber where adult woodworm beetles have exited
- Visible ‘frass’ or bore dust around exiting holes
- Weakened or damaged floorboards
- Tunnels in the timber
- Live or dead beetles surrounding the potentially affected area
Our Woodworm FAQ page goes into greater detail regarding the tell-tale signs of woodworm in your property. If you believe your property is suffering from some of these signs it is important you speak to one of our property preservation specialists at our Inverness office. Our specialists can arrange a survey of your property or can even provide you with free advice.
Woodworm Treatment & Prevention
Woodworm’s three-year life cycle can result in many property owners being unaware of them having a woodworm problem until the problem has developed significantly. A residual insecticide being applied to the affected areas will resolve your woodworm problem. Woodworm treatment specialists must be the people who apply the insecticide. Woodworm is unlikely to be eradicated through self-treatment. A borescope is utilised by our specialists to gain access to constricted areas. People who are administering self-treatment and not have access to such technology will likely be unable to fully eradicate their woodworm problem and will allow it to return. In comparison, Richardson & Starling’s woodworm specialists carry out thorough property surveys and support treatment works with a 30-year transferable guarantee.
What our specialist will do:
- Survey the affected area in detail to determine the scale of the infestation
- Utilise technology such as the borescope to gain access to otherwise restricted areas
- Identify whether infestation is still active or not
- Specify the most suitable treatment solution
- If required, our specialists can remove the infested timbers and replace them with healthy timber
Woodworm must be eradicated from your property as swiftly as it possibly can be. Once the woodworm damage has become visible on the timber this means that there is a possibility that your property’s foundations have been considerably weakened. Upon completion of an extensive survey of the affected areas in the property, our specialists will then identify the most suitable woodworm treatment to eradicate your problem. Normally, application of a chemical solution will be enough to rectify the problem. However, occasionally the infected timbers will need to be replaced by our specialists with new pre-treated ones. Please don’t be daunted by this prospect. Despite every woodworm infestation being entirely different, our specialists will be able to select the most appropriate and cost-effective solution for your property.
Your property survey can be free of charge. Click the ‘i’ icon to learn more.
30 Year Woodworm Treatment Guarantee
Fully certified and highly experienced surveyors near you
* No charge if you Own the surveyed property located within 25 miles from our Inverness branch. An administration fee may apply if a written report is required (a charge may apply if the property is rented out or is situated further than 25 miles). Speak with our Inverness team who will be happy to help deal with your property problem.
Our qualified rot surveyor will closely investigate the affected area and measure the scale of the problem. At Richardson and Starling, we only supply experienced surveyors who are highly trained in all types of property problems that could affect your property such as woodworm, rot or damp. This means that our surveyor will be able to complete the survey and give the appropriate remedial recommendations no matter what problem is identified.
30 Year Guarantee for Woodworm Eradication Works
Free automatic transfer to the new property owner if sold.
After eight decades of successful property surveys and repairs, we’re confident to offer you a 30 Year Guarantee that transfers with the Property.
Richardson & Starling are long-standing members of the Property Care Association (PCA) and the Guarantee Protection Insurance scheme (GPI). This demonstrates our ability to meet technical and financial requirements to offer an insurance back-up to our own long term guarantees if you would like this.
Book a Property Survey
Fill the form below and our Inverness team will be in touch with you shortly.